Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How Do You Spell That Squiggly Line over a Frustrated Cartoon Character's Head?

I will never understand my family. "Oh it's good Mom......but I'm going to sit here and piddle around for two hours nibbling on three pieces of shrimp".  In the wise words of a Malaysian toothpaste commercial "SRRRIOUSRY???"

I just don't get the logic.  If you are hungry, eat.  If it is savory, eat.  If you say it tastes good, EAT!!!!  I was excited about this recipe.  I knew (ok, THOUGHT I knew) my oldest would love it as he asks for shrimp quite a bit.  I was wrong.  I have BEEN wrong for three weeks now.  Is it wrong of me to want health for my family? Am I unjust for wanting them to try new things?  SIGH. 

Well, I know I can count on my classy, cultured readers to love this recipe like I do. Oh, and for those of you ingoramooses like me, that funny little word down there isn't "kin-o-ah" *ahem*, it's "keen-wah". Yeah, I know.


HONEY LIME SHRIMP WITH QUINOA AND CUCUMBER/TOMATO SALAD

Ingredients:
     For Quinoa                                  For Shrimp                                  For Salad
       4 cups water (or broth)                1 lime, juiced                              1 Tbs olive oil
       2 cups quinoa, uncooked*           3 Tbs raw honey                         1/4 tsp black pepper
                                                         3 Tbs grapeseed oil                     dash cayenne pepper
                                                         1/4 tsp kosher salt                       dash kosher salt
                                                         1/4 tsp black pepper                   1 cucumber, peeled, chopped
                                                         1 pound shrimp (peeled, tails     12 grape tomatoes cut in half
                                                            removed, rinsed, pat dry)

*I was unable to find pure quinoa so I had to purchase the "Near East" brand quinoa and brown rice blend

MAKE AHEAD- QUINOA
In a medium-large saucepan, bring water or stock to boil and stir in the quinoa.  Cook for 15-20 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally.  Allow to cool.  Divide into 2 equal portions and refrigerate in airtight containers.  Used for 2 recipes.

DINNER NIGHT:
For Shrimp
1. combine lime juice, honey, grapeseed oil, salt and pepper in a sealed  glass container.  Shake well until thoroughly combined.  It should look cloudy and smooth.
2. Toss shrimp with marinade in a medium bowl.
3. Heat medium pan over high heat.  Pour in shrimp with marinade.  Stir shrimp around in pan to prevent burning. Lower heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, until shrimp are opaque.
4. Transfer shrimp to serving bowl and cover to retain heat.
5. Add quinoa to marinade in pan and stir to combine.  Quinoa will soak up flavor of liquid.  Heat until just warm.

For Salad
1. Combine olive oil with black pepper, cayenne, and salt. Toss with cucumber and tomatoes. Chill until ready to serve.


FACEOMETER: SIGH
That would be the Shrimp she held in her mouth for an hour


P.S. I HATE peeling shrimp...touching those little slimy legs leaves me with goosbumps and a knot in my throat HAHAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment